Girls Inc. of Worcester recognizes that it is essential for the organization to include the values of diversity and inclusiveness as part of our strategy to achieve our vision and mission. We are committed to building a culturally diverse staff and strongly encourage applications from minority candidates.
The Business Manager is vital member of the management team; the position provides guidance and advises program and administrative staff on all aspects of finance, business operations, billing, and transactional functions of HR within the operation of a non-profit business.
Accounting and Business Systems
- Oversees all financial transactions; supervises accounting systems; responsible for monthly account reconciliations including all cash, investment, A/R, A/P, billing and all balance sheet accounts
- Closes out monthly fiscal activity in a timely manner and prepares the monthly comparative financial reports and balance sheet for the CEO for submission to the Finance Committee and Board of Directors; and provides assistance to program directors around their program budgets, spending and reporting
- Supervises Accounting Assistant, who is responsible for bi-weekly payroll processing, vendor invoice entry, client program payments, bank deposits, and managing client financial aid process
- Works with Accounting Assistant on administering benefits plans including pension, health and dental, life and disability, vacation. In conjunction with the Chief HR Officer, participates in renewal discussions with insurance agent and manages and communicates plan changes and enrollment process.
- Provides direct oversight of external audits and state submissions as required by law; coordinates annual audit with agency staff and auditors; and acts as custodian for financial and legal records
- Responsible for timely submission of all annual external returns and filings including, but not limited to Form 990, Form PC, Form 3ABC, Commonwealth Annual Report
- Coordinates preparation of annual budget with Leadership Team for approval by the Finance Committee and Board of Directors; presents monthly budget variances, cash flow projections and spending compliance for management and board Finance Committee
- Ensures the preparation of legally mandated documents (unemployment tax filings, state and federal payroll tax filings, workman’s compensation reporting, etc.) including compliance with applicable federal and state regulations
- Works with CEO, Development staff and Program managers on grant budgeting, funding appropriations and spending compliance
- Oversees human resources files in compliance with state and federal regulations
- Reviews contracts and competitive bids and negotiates best terms with vendors.
- May participate in Board and ad hoc committees.
- Manages all aspects of the business office and rental of facilities
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Keeps abreast of all applicable laws and compliance issues
- Undertakes specific tasks assigned by the CEO to enhance effective overall operations of the organization
- Keeps CEO advised of significant problems that jeopardize the achievement of objectives and those which are not being addressed adequately
- Safeguards all confidential information used in the performance of duties
- Serves as a representative of Girl’s Inc by displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the Girl’s Inc community and with the public.
- Other duties as may be assigned.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in business management and accounting, and demonstrate a strong understanding of nonprofit accounting and finance; Bachelor’s Degree in finance, business management or related field
- Demonstrated knowledge in nonprofit accounting, regulations and compliance requirements
- Ability to work independently and resolve routine but often complex matters
- Proficiency in all Microsoft Office applications with a strong emphasis on Excel; QuickBooks or related accounting and billing software expertise.
- Goal orientated, able to work independently and demonstrate initiation in improving Girls Inc.’s management and financial systems
- Adhere to confidentiality polices and conduct appropriate for a representative for all Girls Inc.
- Ability to work as a team player with staff and community agencies
- Organization skills with attention to detail and maintaining accurate records of community and family contacts
- Work in partnership with Girls Inc. program and management staff to support quality programs for all members and their families